Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Whew! Ahem.

So, we had an earthquake and a hurricane all in one week.  Well done.

Actually, although the kitchen shook a bit, it wasn't a big deal.  I was listening to my Ipod with earphones while cutting up apples, and stopped momentarily when it happened.  I did make a mental note to call the FAA about the MedEvac helicopter flying too close to our house, however.

It wasn't until my mother called from New York State that I learned that it was "the" East Coast earthquake centered in a small town in the general area.  There's been a lot of talk about it since, so I thought I should mention it.

Hurricane Irene barely caused some wind and, unfortunately, very little rain.  We were at the outer edge of the path.  I'd say that New York and Vermont got much more effect than we did.

That's the big news.

The little news:  sizeable flocks of birds touch down to rest and refuel on their way to somewhere.  The daytime temperatures are now in the low eighties.  The late-planted red tomatoes are starting to ripen.  A bumper crop of figs have eluded consumption by critters, so I'm drying and freezing them.  There is a cow nursing twins -- a first for us. 

No comments: