Tuesday, August 09, 2011

August

Today is the day the heat and humidity is supposed to break.

We got a little rain over the weekend, which was most welcome.  Many July Bugs are lying on their backs with their legs up in the air.  Is their life cycle over for this year?  The blackberry bushes have suffered from the intense heat and lack of rain.  Most are browned with shriveled berries.

I've got two carboys of blackberry wine brewing.  There are enough berries in the freezer to prepare a third.  'Not bad, considering that there was NO blackberry wine at all last year.

I planted three cucumber seeds in July and have picked far more cucumbers than we really need.  I hope to restrain myself from trying to make cucumber wine!

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to more rain, reduced humidity, and lower temperatures.  I've got plans for outdoor jobs that need attention.

1 comment:

gingerhillery@mac.com said...

Cucumber wine? I am sure with your creativity it would be great! Cucumber al stilo champenoise? Seems like the weather is turning around, according to accuweather. Will call soon to finish our abbreviated conversation. Tell the goats hello and Don too!