Tuesday, April 06, 2010

The Whole Bloomin' World

A loud crack of thunder woke me at about 3 a.m., then the pounding rain started.  Yay, I thought:  all the seeds I planted in the vegetable garden can start growing now. 

As it is , even though it's been dry for more than a week there are tiny chard and beet seedlings.  The pea plants are up.  Overwintered kale and turnips have been doing well and the rhubarb looks splendid.

In the greenhouse, the tomatoes and peppers have emerged.  They'll stay inside until all danger of frost is gone and the nighttime temperatures stay above fifty.  We can be lulled into a false sense of complacency because we've had sticky near-90 F. temps during the daytime already, but I see some cooler weather coming on the weekend.

The weeping cherry is loaded with pink blossoms and all the fruit trees are now in bloom.  I've mowed the grass once already, dodging the bees busily pollinating pears, plums, peaches, apricots and apples.

Daffodils are declining and tulips are in full bloom.  Blue pulmonaria is blooming and the lilacs are ready to open their blooms.

The two day fly swarm is over.  I'm not sure what that's all about, but think it some mass mating ritual.  It's yucky, so am glad it's short term.  I see that wasps are already making nests in sheltered places.

If it rains some more, I'll transplant Cannas which I was given last year.  New growth has emerged in the pots in the greenhouse.  The fig which looked like a dead stick has not only developed leaves, there are tiny fruits at the ends.  It needs transplanting outside too.

No comments: