Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Asparagus Time

It's hard to believe, but I picked the first asparagus on Saturday and took them to the market.  Many more are coming up each day.

I pulled the turnips and harvested their tops, as well as kale. 

Eggs are abundant.  That is an understatement.  I'll need to make time to bake eggy poundcakes for the market tomorrow or Friday.  The geese are especially productive and those are the best eggs for baking.

The peas, greens, and even beans and cucumbers are up in the garden.  Some of the beans planted themselves, so there will be a good variety in addition to the new varieties I planted.  Shallots and garlic are looking good.

In the greenhouse, tomatoes, peppers, and cabbages abound.  It's time to start ferrying the overwintered plants up to the porches and courtyard.

Other tasks are taking up my time.  Today, I'll try to finish painting the baseboard in a bedroom in the old farmhouse so that we can move the furniture back in to prepare for visitors.  I painted the floor last week and paid for it in terms of muscle pain -- but it's done!

The roof that fell in on the shop ell is being rebuilt.  Hopefully it will be enclosed before the rains come again.  I'm looking forward to reclaiming the space.

1 comment:

CountryDew said...

Sounds like spring! But we do need some rain. Nice to see you today in the grocery store.