Thursday, December 22, 2011

Over the Hump

Happy Solstice!

The sky was pale pink this morning and we are having very mild weather.  I'm making progress with the pruning and outside clean up.  I've got plans for the greenhouse when it gets wet and cold.  That's when I'll attend to inside tasks.

Inside the greenhouse this morning, I noticed Spring-like activity.  There is the start of new growth on some of the plants which died down at the end of Summer.  Jade trees and klanchoe are ready to bloom just as the Christmas cactus has just about finished.  Odd, as this is the first day of Winter here.

Something I witnessed this week that touched me deeply:  an octogenarian was getting out of the motorized shopping cart and stood up with the aid of her aluminum walker.  Her husband extended his hand and they slowly exited the supermarket hand in hand.  Everyone around was patient and gave them room.  I walked to my car, wiping away a tear.

1 comment:

Tom said...

That is the best Christmas story I have heard this year...