Thursday, March 03, 2011

I Love Puzzles

My current project is cutting down a large stand of brambles near our front gate. It is a complicated and treacherous puzzle. You could really get hurt unraveling this puzzle.


It's not the first time in fourteen years that I've done this, but I swear it will be the last time! I've got plans to keep this stuff in check. There are lovely perennial bulbs planted there which, some years, are never seen and appreciated.

I work for an hour or just a half hour and then need to rest. This is not for the faint of heart. I'll work outside as long as I can each day and tackle the pruning and cleaning of flower beds during Spring. When the Summer heat comes it'll be all over!

I planted some peppers in the greenhouse yesterday.

The newborn calves run like crazy when I drive down the hill. The interesting thing is that they run to Papa Tom, our horned Dexter bull. He's been known to lay in the pasture with a group of young calves all around him. How do they know he's the pater familias? Is it instinct? He is a lovely boy and I am fond of him

2 comments:

LouAnneL said...

I'm so excited to have found your blog/farm business! We live in Blue Ridge and have been looking for local sources for meats and vegetables. I found you on Local Harvest. Do you ever frequent any of the farmer's markets in the area? We sometimes go to the one at Ikenberry's on Saturdays. Thanks!

Redhen said...

Well -- I'm glad to make your acquaintance. You have a very nice blog, which I've linked to under "Regional."

I started the market at Ikenberry's but have retired from it to concentrate on the farm. You can arrange to purchase eggs and whatever produce I might have on hand by emailing me and coming to the farm.

Our "meat" runs around. We sell only live livestock.