Sunday, June 08, 2008

Cherries 'n Berries

This morning, I picked another pint of red raspberries and popped them directly into the freezer. The heat was oppressive outside.

Last night, after recovering from the farmers' market in the 98 degrees and high humidity, I raked hay until it got too dark to see what I was doing. We continue to cut, rake, and bale during this dry period, but I don't know how much longer we can take the heat. It's like August weather, not June. Oh, well you make hay while the sun shines, I guess.

The first black cherries are also ready to pick. I decided to dry cherries this year and the first batch turned out just right.

On Friday, I picked loads of lavender and chamomile to dry. The house smelled great.

I cut down all the spinach, knowing that it will bolt in the heat. There is plenty of chard and kale. Broccoli is still producing and the first beets were pulled. I see blooms on the cucumber plants. Squash plants poked up and will benefit from the hot weather to get a good start. Tomato plants are also developing quickly.

1 comment:

gingerhillery@mac.com said...

Cooler weather is coming! Don't ya love summer. Our squash is thrilled with this weather too. I am shelling peas. The kids are playing with cousin. Wish they were here to shell peas.

I need to pick chamomile for tea. Think I will forget weeding til it gets cool.

Can't wait to see what you cook up with those dried cherries.